Ballet Resource and Volunteer Organization
Our Ballet Resource and Volunteer Organization (BRAVO) is a group of more than 300 ballet enthusiasts whose support is vital to the on-going operation of San Francisco Ballet. Its members donate a staggering 14,000 volunteer hours every year to the organization.
HOW BRAVO HELPS
- Assists at Nutcracker and other ballet performances and events
- Assists at fund-raisers, donor recognitions, School programs, and various special events
- Staffs the Ballet Shop
- Provides cost-saving clerical support to SF Ballet departments
- Assists with public relations and outreach activities
BRAVO members have an opportunity to meet other dance enthusiasts when they volunteer and when they attend bi-monthly General Membership Meetings. SF Ballet dancers and high-level staff are also guest speakers at these meetings, giving BRAVO members a unique opportunity to increase their knowledge of the Company and the world of dance.
How to Become a BRAVO Volunteer
Complete our online application. You will need two personal or professional references (non-family members) to do so. Please be aware that we may contact your references. We will also conduct a search of the
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Complete an online application and provide two personal or professional references (non-family members)
- Have acceptable reference checks as well as a clean background search of the California Megan’s Law Database
- Attend an introductory meeting for prospective volunteers
After your application is completed, we will contact you about attending the introductory meeting for prospective volunteers. These sessions are usually scheduled for a Saturday morning in October and February. They give you a chance to learn about BRAVO, give us a chance to meet you, and help us both confirm that volunteering for SF Ballet is right for you. You will be notified whether or not you are accepted into BRAVO.
There are numerous ways your volunteering can make a difference, including:
Provide office help for various departments; staff the BRAVO office; do retail work for the SF Ballet Shop; assist the Ballet’s Outreach and Education programs; and assist with check-ins during parent observations at the SF Ballet School.
Nutcracker and Repertory Season
Staff the Ballet Shop, chaperone students in various ballet productions, help with Club Nut, and work at Family Performances.
Help Ballet staff with special events, such as receptions, fund-raisers, and Spring Student Showcase, and assist SF Ballet Auxiliary with Opening Night Gala and Fashion Show.
- BRAVO volunteers do not usher at War Memorial Opera House performances. If you are only interested in ushering, please contact the Opera House.
- The busiest time of year for all BRAVO members is the fall and early winter, especially December and January. During December’s Nutcracker season, about 45 volunteers are needed for each performance. The Opening Night Gala quickly follows in January, where up to 60 volunteers are needed for the event. We do keep busy during the rest of the year, but not on such a large scale. Click on ACTIVITIES to find out more about what we do.
Complete our online application to become a BRAVO volunteer.
2021–2022 BRAVO BOARD
Steve Merlo, President
Pirkko Lucchesi, Vice President
Patricia Knight, Secretary