SF BALLET CLASSROOM
Welcome to SF Ballet Classroom
SF Ballet invites educators, PreK-12 students, and families to our online classroom!
Let’s dance together while we are apart. Join the professional teaching artists from SF Ballet’s Dance in Schools and Communities (DISC) program as we bring dance and music from our home to yours. Be safe and keep dancing at home!
NUTCRACKER AT HOME
‘Tis the season for Nutcracker! Come explore the magical world of SF Ballet’s Nutcracker with dance-along videos, printable activity sheets, and a fun look at the wonders of this timeless ballet.
- Nutcracker: Dance, Learn & Explore with SF Ballet. This 7-minute video is perfect for preparing kids to watch the full performance of Nutcracker. Meet the dancers, learn a dance, and explore the characters before you watch the performance.
- Dance Along with Miss Kristi: Children are invited to learn some of the Nutcracker choreography and dance movements in this interactive video
- Printable Children’s Synopsis, Coloring Activities & Games
- 2020 Nutcracker Program Book
- SFB’s Nutcracker Homepage and Ultimate Guide
SF LOVES LEARNING
Tune in to catch SF Ballet on the new educational television show SF Loves Learning. We are partnering with SF Unified School District and KTVU to provide an hour-long TV episode every weekday especially for PreK-2nd grade students. Our DISC dance teaching artists lead a daily dance segment that encourage kids and families to dance together at home. Then get ready to clap your hands and stomp your feet as the DISC musicians introduce musical instruments from around the globe. Find a KTVU Plus channel.
DISC-TANCE DANCE VIDEO LESSONS
Taught by professional teaching artists from the DISC program, our 10–15 minute interactive videos explore creative movement, ballet, dance elements, world dance and music, and more.
- Videos for PreK/TK (appropriate for PreK–1st grade)
- Video for Grades 2–3 (appropriate for grades 2–4)
Contact email@example.com to receive corresponding teacher/student activity sheets with movement prompts and reflection questions.
WATCH A BALLET: Dance of Dreams
San Francisco Ballet is pleased to share Dance of Dreams, a new dance film commissioned by Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson and created during shelter-in-place. This work was filmed at iconic San Francisco locations including the Palace of Fine Arts and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. This short six-minute dance film is a great introduction to contemporary ballet for young audiences and the activity sheet linked below makes it easy for kids to share their reflections after watching the film. Recommended for ages 6+. Dance of Dreams is also available on YouTube, Facebook, and IGTV.
STORYTIME WITH SF BALLET
Join the artists of SF Ballet for a new storytime series. Listen to a story, then try a few ballet steps with artists from SF Ballet or listen to music played by members of the SF Ballet Orchestra. Fun for all ages!