2021–22 SCHOOL YEAR
Ages 8–11 are not required to audition but do attend a screening to be considered for enrollment in Levels 1–3.
Students ages 12–14 who live in the SF Bay Area and are looking for a serious step up in their ballet training are encouraged to register for SF Ballet’s School’s School Year audition.
At the audition, we will be looking for students with the natural attributes for a career in classical ballet and we expect that students will have had some previous ballet experience either in SF Ballet’s children’s class or from another ballet school. Preferably students will have begun some beginning pointe work but this is not required.
From the audition, students who are invited to enroll at SF Ballet School are generally placed in the intermediate levels 4–6. Classes meet 5–6 days per week for 10–20 hours per week. Level 4–5 classes take place after school between 4 and 8 pm. Level 6 classes take place in the afternoons between 2 and 6 pm. Enrolling students must be prepared to prioritize ballet as their primary activity given the level of commitment. Consistent attendance is mandatory.
Each invitation to enroll is for one year of training. It may not be deferred or transferred. At the end of each year, a student’s progress and potential for a career in classical ballet will be evaluated and considered for the next year of training. Enrollment is not guaranteed from one year to the next. Students who continue to make good progress but are not yet physically ready for the next level may be invited to continue their enrollment for a second year in the same level.
Audition Dates for the 2021–22 School Year
June 26, 2021
July 31, 2021
SEPTEMBER 1 AND 2
Is San Francisco Ballet School your first-choice school for training? Are you ready to take charge of your future and commit to making this move? Highly qualified candidates from around the world can now apply for the School Year program and not wait for the Summer Session to be considered.
The application process begins each January for the following school year. Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2021-22 school year from ages students ages 15–18. Please check back in November 2021 for information on applying to the 2022–23 school year
WHO IS SF BALLET SCHOOL LOOKING FOR?
School Director, Patrick Armand is looking for students who are passionate about the art form and motivated to pursue intense training toward a career in classical ballet.
- Intermediate and advanced level ballet students who are ready to take the next step in their training toward a professional career in ballet.
- Students who have significantly researched ballet schools and are confident that SF Ballet School is their top choice.
2021–22 SCHOOL YEAR AUDITION TIMELINE
- Submit a pre-selection video audition by January 2022, (DATE TBD) via Slideroom for best consideration. Video auditions will be accepted through February but will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
- Students will be notified of their pre-selection video audition results within 2 weeks of their audition submission.
- Pre-selected students will be invited to participate in the next round of auditions in person. Audition locations are TBD.
- Accepted students will receive notification of their acceptance in March and enroll for the 2022 Summer Session and the 2022-23 School Year in April.
Please follow the below guidelines when filming your pre-selection video audition. A $20 audition fee will be charged upon submission. Please note, SF Ballet School will only accept electronic online submissions through the video application website, SlideRoom, and will not review DVDs or email submissions that are sent to the School.