Become an expert yourself during intensive classes that bring you deeper into the selected work and let you hear from the dancers and artists themselves.
SF Ballet is known for its simultaneous mastery of the classics and of innovative new work. This year become an expert yourself at Exploring Ballet. These classes bring you into the histories and interpretations of the selected works, as well as let you hear from the dancers and artists who bring them to life.
- Session 1: Robbins’ In the Night
- Interview with SF Ballet Principal Dancer Tiit Helimets
- Hear a talk by Director of Education & Training Jennie Scholick, Ph.D.
- Session 2: Exploring Don Quixote
- Interview with SF Ballet Principal Dancer Sasha De Sola
- Hear from Stage Manager Jane Green
- History lecture by Dance Educator Mary Wood
- Session 3: Exploring La Sylphide
- Hear from SF Ballet Principal Dancer Ulrik Birkkjaer
- Presentation by Dance Educator Claire Sheridan
- Experiential lesson with San Francisco Ballet School Faculty Member Larissa Ponomarenko
COVID SAFETY – BOOSTER SHOT AND MASKS REQUIRED
If your child under the age of 12 does not meet the two-week or greater completion requirement to qualify as being fully vaccinated, they must show proof of a negative result from a COVID-19 test taken within one day for antigen or two days for PCR tests prior to entry into the War Memorial Opera House or 455 Franklin Street. Fully vaccinated children under 12 may present proof of full vaccination and if eligible booster shot in lieu of a negative test result.
Updated 3/12/2022: Based on recommendations from San Francisco Ballet Health and Safety Task Force, a face covering is required for entry into War Memorial Opera House and must be worn at all times. Face masks must completely cover nose, mouth, and chin and have ear loops or similar to hold in place. Cloth and surgical masks are acceptable. Gaiters and bandanas are not acceptable. Due to the transmissibility of the Omicron variant, we strongly recommend patrons wear a non-vented respirator, such as an N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask. SF Ballet will have a limited number of KN94 or equivalent masks available at the War Memorial Opera House for those patrons who request one. Masks are required at all times, regardless of age, while inside the War Memorial Opera House. Food and drinks are not permitted inside the auditorium to ensure masks are worn throughout the performance.
Click the Learn More button or visit sfballet.org/safety for details and COVID-19 policies for children under 12. We strongly suggest you visit the Safety page close to your performance for updates.
Dates & Times:
- January 31 at 6:00 pm: Exploring In the Night
- February 27 at 5:00 pm: Exploring Don Quixote
- March 12 at 4:00 pm: Exploring La Sylphide
Location: Online via Zoom
Cost: General Admission $30
Classes go off sale at 10 am the morning of the event and Zoom links will be sent shortly thereafter.
SF Ballet's audience engagement classes are sponsored by the San Francisco Ballet Auxiliary, a philanthropic group of women that works tirelessly to support SF Ballet through volunteering, enhancing visibility, promoting community support, and assisting in fundraising. To learn more, visit Auxiliary.