EXPERIENCE THE CITY BY THE BAY
Chaperoned housing is available at the Bowes Center for the Performing Arts dormitory, located just a few blocks away from the SF Ballet studios. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided in the cafeteria. Move-in and -out dates and full housing information are provided upon invitation to the program. Students may be exempt from housing if they live locally or will reside with a parent/guardian for the entirety of the summer program.
Room and board fees will be announced in January
LIVING IN SAN FRANCISCO
There’s a reason San Francisco is one of America’s top tourist destinations. San Francisco is a diverse, young, and vibrant city located on the west coast of the US. Known for its progressive values and innovative thinking, San Francisco shares its adventurous spirit with nearby Silicon Valley. We’re known for our world-class arts and culture, our colorful Victorian homes, the spectacular views you can see from the City’s seven hills, the Golden Gate Bridge, and our neighborhoods which each have their own distinctive charm.
RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Opening in the fall of 2020, San Francisco Ballet School will offer a residential boarding program for ballet students who are prepared to enter the Ballet School’s intermediate and advanced levels and the Trainee Program.
SF Ballet School is partnering with San Francisco Conservatory of Music (SFCM) in an ideal collaboration to provide housing for talented young musicians and dancers who are pursuing professional careers in their artistic field. During the school year, SF Ballet School will occupy one full floor of the SFCM's newly constructed $193M Ute and William K. Bowes, Jr. Center for Performing Arts (Bowes Center), located at 200 Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco’s Civic Center / Hayes Valley neighborhoods.
In addition to student housing, the Bowes Center will include multi-purpose rehearsal and performance spaces, study areas, a cafe for student meal service, and a restaurant open to the public. Consideration for safety in our urban environment has been integrated into the building’s design: A private entrance for student residents will offer 24/7 security, and floor access is further secured by elevator access passes. SF Ballet School residential staff will monitor the floor when students are present in the dormitory, including overnight. Building design and staffing plans contemplate the needs of young students who are new to living in San Francisco.
- Suite-style rooms provide students with a home away from home; four ballet students per suite will share two bedrooms, a full bathroom, and living space.
- SF Ballet School dormitory staff will live onsite to ensure student safety and wellbeing.
- Wellness programming has been developed to support students' physical and mental wellness during this critical time in their development.
- Food service and meal plans are designed to ensure the young dancers nutrition fuels them for a packed day of dancing.
- Convenient access to SF Ballet studios cuts down on the commute time and provides access to San Francisco’s vibrant arts community.