NUTCRACKER SENSORY FRIENDLY PERFORMANCE
Join us for SF Ballet’s Sensory Friendly Performance of Nutcracker on Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 11 AM! This full-length performance will provide a relaxed, shush-free, and shame-free environment for audience members of all ages and abilities to experience this magical holiday tradition in a safe and comfortable atmosphere.
Sensory Friendly Performances are designed to create a welcoming performing arts experience for people with autism, sensory input disorders, sensory sensitivities, or other physical, cognitive, or developmental disabilities, and their families, friends, and caretakers. In collaboration with our community partners from Autism Society San Francisco Bay Area, SF Ballet has made special accommodations to the performance and theater-going experience to make neurodiverse audiences feel welcome to enjoy Nutcracker in a fun, accepting environment.
What makes this performance Sensory Friendly?
- Audience members are invited to come to the performance and be themselves! Expectations for audience etiquette at this performance will be relaxed; talking or vocalizing is accepted, and patrons can move freely in their seats and the aisles during the performance, within appropriate safety parameters.
- House lights will remain on at a low level throughout the entirety of the performance.
- Some loud sounds and startling moments are modified for this performance.
- Fidget objects, noise-reducing headphones, and other sensory tools or devices are allowed inside the theater during the performance. Audience members can also feel free to bring their own comfort items with them into the theater.
- Entering and exiting the theater is allowed throughout the performance. Designated quiet spaces will be available for audience members who may need to take a break from the performance.
- Every level will have restrooms designated as gender-neutral family restrooms for accessibility.
- Audience members will have access to social stories and resource materials to help prepare for the Nutcracker experience before the performance.
- Assistive listening devices will be available for patrons with hearing impairment.
- Wheelchair-accessible seating options are located in the Orchestra, Dress Circle, and Box levels.
Nutcracker tickets are currently only available for purchase as add-on tickets to a season subscription package.
For additional assistance with selecting seats to best accommodate the accessibility needs of your party, please contact Ticketing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-865-2000. Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, from 10 AM – 4 PM.
*Although the performance on December 30 at 11 AM is adapted specifically to accommodate individuals with special needs and/or sensory sensitivities, the general public is welcome to attend. All patrons are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the adjustments of the Sensory Friendly Performance in order to help create a welcoming and accommodating environment for all audience members.
Support for the inaugural 2022 Sensory Friendly Performances of Nutcracker was generously provided by Goldman Sachs Gives, John Garfinkle, Ian Reinhard and Myra Reinhard Family Foundation, Brook Hartzell and Tad Freese, Cheryl and Bruce Kiddoo, Alison Mauzé, and Lorraine C. Gilmore in honor of CJ Gray and the Barrett family; and from Sarah, Jesse, Allison, and Alex in honor of Betsy Eisenhardt.
DANCE IS FOR EVERYONE!
Before you come to the performance, join us at our Sensory Friendly Nutcracker Dance-Along on Sunday, December 17th to explore the characters, music, and story behind this holiday favorite. SF Ballet Sensory Friendly Dance-Alongs are designed to provide a relaxed environment for children and adults of varying physical and cognitive abilities to experience ballet and participate in a guided dance class that is specifically tailored to the sensory and behavioral needs of the individuals. These interactive workshops explore storytelling through creative movement and ballet choreography. Our inclusive Sensory Friendly Dance-Along is designed for bodies of all ages and abilities. Explore tactile activity tables, take-home arts and crafts activities, enjoy the quiet room, and more.
Experience the complete ballet, with choreography by Helgi Tomasson performed by San Francisco Ballet, and music by Pyotr IIyich Tchaikovsky performed by the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra.
Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 11:00 AM
War Memorial Opera House, 301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco
Doors open at 10:00 AM
Performance starts at 11:00 AM and ends at approximately 1:00 PM
The performance running time is approximately 2 hours with one intermission
Tickets go on sale September 20, unless you have a promo code.