SF Ballet Performances Specifically Designed for School Groups
Frances Chung and Gennadi Nedvigin in Wheeldon's Rush© (© Erik Tomasson)
Join us for an engaging and educational program specifically designed to give students an introduction to classical and contemporary ballet and a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to stage a performance. Student Matinees offer a wonderful way to expose students to the transformative power of creativity through the performing arts. Student Matinee performances are appropriate for grades two and up.
Each educational 75-minute interactive program includes:
- An introduction to ballet as an art form
- Performances by SF Ballet professional dancers and pre-professional Trainees from the SF Ballet School, accompanied by the SF Ballet Orchestra
- Excerpts of some of the Company’s most extraordinary works
- The opportunity to learn about what it takes to become a dancer with SF Ballet
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016 - SOLD OUT
- Performance: Excerpts from Coppélia
- Coppélia is a fantastic story of a mysterious inventor, his life-sized doll, and the havoc they wreak on a young couple. This spun sugar, candy-colored production, choreographed by George Balanchine, is perfect fun for all school groups.
- Wednesday, April 13, 2016
- Performance: Rush© and other Excerpts
- Rush©, choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon, is set to the spirited Sinfonietta La Jolla by Czech composer Bohuslav Martinů, whose inspiration was the California sea and sky. This program will also feature additional ballets from SF Ballet’s repertory.
- Tickets are only $10
- A minimum of 10 tickets is required to qualify for the Student Matinee price
Download the Ticket Order Form
Resources for Teachers
Study Guides and other online resources are available to prepare students for their ballet experience. You’ll find standards-based activities that challenge them to think deeply and critically about the performance and about the artistic process. Study Guides for the 2016 Student Matinees will be available in January 2016.
Location of Performances
Performances take place at the historic War Memorial Opera House at the corner of Van Ness Avenue and Grove Street in San Francisco. Public transportation via Muni and BART is convenient, and parking is available nearby.
Directions & Parking Information
Do you have a question?
For more information, contact Ticket Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415.865.2000, Monday through Friday, 10am – 4pm.
Download the Student Matinee Brochure
The Student Matinee Series is supported by the Gaia Fund of the San Francisco Ballet Endowment Foundation.
Chevron and the Flora Family Foundation are the Co-Lead Sponsors of San Francisco Ballet’s Education Programs.
Additional support is provided by Major Sponsor Wells Fargo Foundation and Sponsors Gap Foundation and the Zellerbach Family Foundation.