JOHN AND BARBARA OSTERWEIS PRINCIPAL DANCER
Houston Ballet II
Walnut Hill School for the Arts
Houston Ballet’s Ben Stevenson Academy
American Ballet Theatre (summer program)
Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (summer program)
Chautauqua School of Dance (summer program)
Kaatsbaan International Dance Center (summer program)
Stiefel and Students (summer program)
San Francisco Ballet
Joined the Company as a soloist in 2014
Promoted to principal dancer in 2014
Appointed John and Barbara Osterweis Principal Dancer in 2017
Don Quixote (Gitano Leader)
Nutcracker (Nutcracker Prince, King of the Snow, and Grand Pas de Deux)
Romeo & Juliet (Romeo, Mercutio, and Benvolio)
The Sleeping Beauty (Prince Desire)
Swan Lake (Prince Siegfried)
Divertimento No. 15 (Allegro – Lead Man)
The Four Temperaments (Sanguinic)
A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Oberon)
Prodigal Son (Son)
Scotch Symphony (Principal)
Serenade (Waltz Couple)
Symphony in C
La Sylphide (James)
Fragile Vessels (originated)
Anima Animus (created a principal role)
Blake Works I
Pas/Parts 2016 (originated)
The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude
Etudes (excerpt) (Principal Man)
Makarova after Petipa
La Bayadère, Act II (Solor in “The Kingdom of the Shades”)
Variations for Two Couples
Mrs. Robinson (originated role of Benjamin Braddock)
Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes
Sandpaper Ballet (Trumpeter)
Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming (Principal)
In the Countenance of Kings (originated role of The Protagonist)
Swimmer (The Swimmer)
“… two united in a single soul…” (originated principal role of Narcissus)
Chamber Symphony and Symphony #9 in Shostakovich Trilogy
The Seasons (The Faun)
The Promised Land (originated principal)
Dances at a Gathering (Brown)
In the Night (1st pas de deux)
Die Toteninsel (originated)
Frankenstein (Victor Frankenstein)
Company B (“Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy”)
Ghost in the Machine
Cinderella (Prince Guillaume)
Finale Finale (originated principal)
Within the Golden Hour
Dance of Dreams (Dir. Benjamin Millepied, 2020) (Principal – Soloist)
La Fille mal gardée (Colas)
Les Patineurs (Blue Boy)
Ballo della Regina
Jewels (“Emeralds” pas de trois)
Symphony in C
Theme and Variations
Flower Festival in Genzano
Intimate Pages (Angel)
Rooster (“Paint It Black”)
Taming of the Shrew (Lucentio)
Forgotten Land (Red)
The Merry Widow (Camille)
Manon (Des Grieux)
Song of the Earth (Death)
Peter Pan (Peter)
Sandpaper Ballet (“Trumpeter’s Lullaby”)
The Nutcracker (Prince)
The Sleeping Beauty (Prince Florimund and Bluebird)
In the Upper Room (Ballet Boy)
The Leaves Are Fading
La Bayadère (Solor)
Cinderella (Prince and Ugly Stepsisters)
The Core (Skip the Sailor)
The Four Seasons
Madame Butterfly (Pinkerton and Goro)
Marie (Axel von Ferson and Charles d’Artoise)
Sons de l’âme: Lang Lang Dance Project
Carnival of the Animals (Mouse)
Carousel (A Dance)
Within the Golden Hour
- Received a Princess Grace Award (Dance Fellowship) in 2009.
- Artistic Excellence in Dance, Walnut Hill School of the Arts, 2005 and 2006.
- National Bender Scholar, American Ballet Theatre, 2004 and 2005.
- Danced at Helgi Tomasson: A Celebration, excerpts from Blue Rose, 2022.
- Danced at La Grande Fete Season Gala, Bloom, 2022.
- Danced in Starry Nights at Stanford Live, For Pixie, 2021.
- Danced a pas de deux role in Rowe’s Unsaid at the Sun Valley Gala, 2019.
- Danced the world premiere of Possokhov’s Toi Moi, plus Ratmansky’s Seven Sonatas, and van Manen’s Variations for Two Couples at the Benois de la Danse Awards Gala in Moscow, Russia, May 2017.
- Danced the Cavalier in Nutcracker with Los Gatos Ballet in Cupertino, California, December 2016.
- Danced Wheeldon’s Borealis and Petipa’s Le Corsaire Pas de deux at Festival del Sole, Napa County, California, July 2015.
- Danced Benvolio in the 2015 film of Tomasson’s Romeo & Juliet as part of the inaugural season of Lincoln Center at the Movies: Great American Dance.
- Performed Le Corsaire Pas de deux and solo from Welch’s Sons de l’âme at International Ballet Gala: World Ballet Superstars, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 2014.
- Danced the pas de deux from Balanchine’s Rubies and the White Swan Pas de deux from Swan Lake at the International Rudolf Nureyev Ballet Art Festival Gala in Ufa, Russia, in June 2017.
- Performed as a guest artist at Santa Cruz Ballet, 2013.
- Performed as a guest artist at Lafayette Ballet, 2013.
- Performed at the International Ballet Gala, Dance Society of Malaysia, in 2012.
- Performed at Life Chance Gala at Columbia Classical Ballet, 2011.
- Performed at José Manuel Carreño Dance Festival at Sarasota Ballet, 2011.
- Performed with Dominic Walsh Dance Theatre, 2008–2012.
What inspired you to keep dancing during the COVID-19 lockdown?
The need for art to persist through it all.
When you have downtime from productions, what do you do to relax?
Hike, swim, and play with baby Cy.